WHY MEASURE BB? WHO SUPPORTS BB?
What is Measure BB?
Measure BB is a $258 million general obligation bond measure that will provide our students and community with improved and upgraded school facilities that are safe, secure, and modern.
How much will Measure BB cost?
The projected tax rate is $49.50 per $100,000 of assessed property value (not market value) annually. The median assessed home value in ABCUSD is $305,000. Therefore, the project tax rate for the median home is approximately $151.00 per year. To take a closer look at the numbers, click here.
To obtain your specific assessed home value, click here.
How will Measure BB support the Facilities Master Plan (FMP)?
Measure BB will provide funding to support the five key goals identified in the FMP - the acronym is STEPS.
- S (Safety/Security): Improve student safety and campus security systems including establishing a single point of entry, visitor management, security fencing, security cameras, emergency communications systems, smoke detectors, fire alarms, and sprinklers.
- T (Technology): Keep instructional technology up-to-date and provide instructional network, infrastructure, and furnishings.
- E (Evolution): 21st Century Learning environments, computer labs, and media centers - Provide the classrooms, labs, and facilities needed to support high quality instruction in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, as well as Career and Technical Education classes so students are prepared for college and in-demand jobs in fields like health, sciences, engineering, technology, and skilled trades.
- P (Parity): portable replacement, new facilities - Upgrade older schools so they meet the same academic and safety standards as newer schools. Make necessary repairs and upgrades to our 34 sites, including Child Development and Adult Education.
- S (Sustainability): solar arrays, energy management, irrigation, finish materials, and fixtures
Will Measure BB improve instruction?
Yes. ABCUSD is an award winning District with a reputation of Academic Excellence. Families move to ABC because of the outstanding reputation of our District. Our goal is to provide all students with access to the education they will need to be successful in college, jobs, and careers after they graduate from high school. Safe, modern school facilities, and education technology are essential to maintaining quality schools and giving our students a competitive edge. As school facilities are improved, teachers and students will benefit.
Where can I find a detailed list of school improvements planned for my neighborhood school?
A detailed list of improvements for each school based upon the comprehensive Facility Master Plan conducted by the Facilities Committee over an 18-month period can be found on the District’s website.
How can I be assured that the Measure BB proceeds will be spent on the designated projects?
By law, Measure BB funds can only be spent to fund projects itemized in the ballot measure. Bond funds CANNOT be used for administrators' salaries or pensions. An Independent Citizens' Oversight Committee, mandatory audits, and public reports will ensure funds are spent properly. The Oversight Committee will review all expenditures and construction projects to ensure accountability.
Who can vote on Measure BB?
All registered voters living within the ABC Unified School District boundaries will be able to vote on Measure BB as long as they are registered by October 20, 2018.
For even more information about BB, you can visit the ABC USD website at: https://www.abcusd.us